Sunday, March 27, 2011

Book Cover Mandela

I chose a book cover designed by Pete Gareau, Mandela. The original cover had a close up image of Nelson mandela face over a light gray background. The original picture was fine but shown a man he had made it through a painful time in his life in his face. I substituted a picture that expressing a Mandela of change and a Mandela representing a promising future. A man who is a beacon light of hope for so many image is bigger than life and I feel the picture I used expressed that.

Nelson Mandela known as the father of Africa, became an international symbol against apartheid. He gave up his freedom, spenting 27 years in prison for opposing apartheid. He became the first President of a black majority ruled South Africa in 1994-1999 and won a Nobel Peace Prize 1993.


The width of the page is 8.5 and the height is 11 inches, the resolution is 300 dpi but also saved at 72 dpi. I used the bucket tool to fill the background color with a pastel pink. I chose the pink to contrast the harshness of apartheid. using the horizontal type tool, I chose the Kokila text for the words apartheid. On the layer panel under the general blending I set the opacity to 16 percent, giving slight transparency. On the edit panel I rotated each apartheid text. I use incised 901 text for the Nelson Mandela's name in black. In the blending panel I used the following effects, drop shadow, bevel and emboss, satin and stroke. I download Mandela's image from Photobucket. Using the quick selection tool I separated the image from the background. And use the eraser tool to clean up the edges. On the adjustment panel under transform I chose to rotate the apartheid texts. On the image panel, under adjustment I chose to lighten up the image.

No comments:

Post a Comment